Student Convention Grants
The American Begonia Society (ABS) is pleased to announce the launch of a new grant program, the 2022 ABS Student Convention Grants. These grants will be awarded on a competitive basis to students interested in or actively studying the plant family Begoniaceae. The grants were established to promote student and future researchers’ participation in ABS and to encourage new research in Begoniaceae.
Students who receive the grant will:
- Receive complimentary registration for the 2022 Annual Convention in Atlanta, Georgia (September 26-October 2, 2022).
- Receive an honorarium to cover registration costs and expenses such as meals and shared-room accommodations.
- Grant recipients will also receive a complimentary ABS membership.
- It is expected that each award recipient will prepare and present a 10–12-minute program at the Society’s convention.
- Grant recipients will be notified by email of their award status by August 15, 2022 and will need to prepare, pre-record, and submit their presentations by September 1st.
- If you have any questions about the application or this convention, please email Grants@begonias.org.
What is the ABS Annual Convention?
The ABS annual convention is for Begonia enthusiasts and researchers alike. It is a social opportunity to come together to learn about an array of Begonia species and cultivars via presentations focusing on recent research, field work, and the culture of begonias. Learn more about the 2022 ABS Convention.
Application Guidelines for 2022 Student Convention Grants
- Applications are due by August 1, 2022.
- Applicants should send the following (with the subject line: Student Convention Grant Application) in an attachment (preferably a single PDF document) to Grants@begonias.org and include:
- Name, institutional affiliation, address, telephone, and email information.
- A 200 to 400 word description of research goals and education.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) not to exceed one US letter-sized page.
- The title and brief description of the lecture to be pre-recorded for presentation at this year’s convention. For example, “Sophie Cecile” would label her file “Cecile_S_PDF”. Applications exceeding the specified length for description and CV will not be accepted.
- A signed letter of recommendation from the applicant’s major advisor or faculty representative (as a separate document) should be sent to Grants@begonias.org with the applicant’s name in the subject line. For example, “Recommendation Letter for Sophie Cecile Student Convention Grant Application 2022”.