> Convention 2008
American Begonia Society
National Convention 2008
Begonias — The
Please Read These Rules Completely
Before Entering a Plant for Judging.
Competition is open to all. There is no
1. The Show Chair shall have complete charge
of all exhibits from the opening to the
closing of the show. No entries may be
removed before the end of the show without
permission of the Show Chair
2. No unauthorized persons will be allowed
in the show area prior to the show opening
3. Entries shall be made on Thursday, May
15, 2008 from 8:00 A.M to 6:30 P.M. No
entries will be accepted on Friday, May 16,
2008. Completion of entry forms is the
responsibility of the exhibitor. For those
wishing to complete entry forms in advance,
please send a self-addressed, stamped legal
size envelope to Tom Keepin, 4513 Randwick
Drive, Houston, TX 77092-8343.
4. All plant entries except in the Seedling
Division, must be mature plants. For show
purposes, they must be of adequate size and
development to make a suitable
representation of their potential for the
purposes of judging and for the viewing
5. All entries in competitive classes must
have been grown by the exhibitor and in the
possession of the exhibitor for at least six
(6) months prior to the show.
6. No artificial plant material will be
allowed in any class or division.
7. An exhibitor may enter more than one
plant in any one division or class,
providing that each plant is of a different
variety. Plants in hanging containers may be
entered in any begonia division (hangers
must be removed), or entered in Division L
.Hanging Container. Decorative containers
are permitted only in Division O.
8. NO WHITE POTS ARE ALLOWED. Containers and
plants must be clean and neat. All labels
must be removed or pushed down into soil out
of sight. The Show Classification and
Entries Chair shall have the right to
exclude, refuse, or remove any diseased,
infected or unsightly exhibit. Consideration
will be given to obvious signs of travel
damage. No grooming will be allowed in the
show room.. Touch-up grooming due to travel
damage must be done outside the show room
prior to entering.
9. All entries must be checked with the
Classification and Entries Committee at the
time of registration, and entered according
to the published schedule, or be
disqualified. Additional classes may be
added at the discretion of the Show Chair
and/or the Classification and Entries Chair,
who’s decisions are final.
10. The Classification and Entries Committee
will provide assistance in determining plant
identity, division, and class if requested.
11. All plants shall be placed by or under
the direction of the Placement Chairperson.
12. The Judging Chairperson shall assume
complete Charge at the start of the judging,
and no one will be allowed to interfere with
13. No exhibitor or judge may change the
class of any entry without the consent of
the Show Classification and Entries
14. Entry tags must remain sealed until the
Judging Chairperson declares all judging
15. Plants will be judged by their
appearance above the soil line and not by
parentage or cultural needs alone.
16. Judges shall make awards according to
merit only. If the entry is without merit
judges shall make no award regardless of the
number of entries in a division.
17. Judges may only use the point scoring
system as approved by the American Begonia
Society. Judges are to follow ABS judging
procedure as prescribe by the Judging
18. Each class will be judged for first
(blue ribbon), second (red ribbon), third
(white ribbon) on merit only. All blue
ribbon winners in a division will be judged
for division trophies.
19. Only entries receiving first place in
their class may be considered for division
20. All begonias must receive 93 points to
be eligible for division trophies. Entries
must receive 95 points or more to be
eligible for cultural awards.
21. A Sweepstakes trophy will be awarded to
the exhibitor with the most blue ribbons in
all begonia divisions.
22. The Showing is Sharing trophy is awarded
to the exhibitor with the most total
23. Kay Tucker Award, will be awarded to the
best cane in the show.
24. Best Species in Show will be awarded to
the best species .
25. Best SWR Hybrid Award, shall be awarded
to the best hybrid created by a Southwest
26.. Only divisions A thru N are eligible to
compete for the Best in Show award.
27. Judges’ decisions are final. If the
Judging Chairperson determines that
according to common judging practices, a
gross injustice has occurred the Judging
Chairperson shall select a new team of
judges to review the exhibit.
28. Division I and S, Classes 135 and
175: Contained atmosphere begonias must
be planted in a medium in the terrarium and
not in separate pots.
29. Division W-Artistic Photographs of
Begonias is to be judged for
photographic content and artistic merit not
horticulturally. Label each photo with the
name of the plant and the name of the
exhibitor on the back.
30. Division P-Seedlings: All entries
must have been grown from seed by the
31. Divisions Y and Z-Begonia Arts and
Crafts: Entries will be judged for the
artistic merit and quality of work. Entries
must feature begonias and be the original
work of the exhibitor. Artwork must be
matted, framed , or presented in a suitable
32. Only an exhibitor entering an ABS Show
for the first time may enter Division M
33. In Divisions U and V-New
Introduction, Commercial Growers, and New
Introduction, Hobby Growers. Entries
must be mature plants and not eligible for
entry in any other division. They may not
have been in competition in any prior show,
and are not eligible if released for other
than testing. The hybridizer need not have
grown the plant, the grower may enter the
plant with the hybridizer’s permission. If
not in bloom, a description of the plants
bloom and time of bloom, if known, must
accompany the entry.
34. Divisions T and U-Commercial Growers,
and New Introduction, Commercial Growers:
A commercial grower for the purpose of this
show is defined as follows: “person(s) who
wells plants and derives the majority of
his/her income from the sale of these
plants, and/or has one or more employees who
assists in growing his/hr plants”
35. Division Q- Traveling Begonias is
open to anyone outside a 250 mile radius of
the show. Plant must be in pots no larger
than 4 inches.. Exhibitors may enter as many
classes in this division as they wish as
long as each is a different variety
36. ABS will exercise due caution in
safeguarding exhibits, but will not be
responsible for loss or damage to the
property of the exhibitor. Exhibitors are
responsible for the care of their own
entries. The Show will close after the
banquet on Saturday, May 17, 2008, entries
must be removed by 12:00 P.M. Sunday, May
The Registration information is online.